TRACY ANN STEELE, PMP
SENIOR PROGRAM/PROJECT MANAGER
Ms. Steele has held multiple senior management roles within the Financial Services industry, prior to becoming a Senior Project Management consultant. Ms. Steele’s roles have included: Senior Vice President of Systems and Operations for a large bank-owned broker dealer; interim Chief Operating Officer responsible for over150 technical and operations teams while managing the integration of two broker-dealer organizations; Manager of a large main-frame applications development and production support team; Senior manager responsible for an enterprise PMO. Ms. Steele is experienced in all phases of the IT project lifecycle and has held responsibility for all IT functions. As an Independent Contractor, Ms. Steele demonstrated the ability to effectively step-in and manage concurrent high-risk projects, while energizing diverse teams and managing the expectations of multiple stakeholders. Ms. Steele previously held Financial Securities Licenses: Series 7, 24, 27 and 63. Ms. Steele’s prior experience included positions within the publishing industry, the recording industry, and delivering hands-on software classroom instruction.
• Accomplished senior leader with over 20 years’ experience implementing a broad portfolio of business and technology projects, managing vendors, and leading cross-functional and cross-enterprise teams
• Demonstrated ability to shape and translate strategy into actionable goals and detailed planning. Proven track record for driving change and successful outcomes in high visibility, high risk environments
• Builder and leader of high performing teams
• Proven ability to successfully manage large scale projects with lots of moving parts and various types of personalities
• Reputation as the “go to person” to solve organizational and process problems
• Experience working in a project/program-oriented environment including managing expectations of multiple stakeholders with diverse and conflicting requirements
• Supports and enhances project management disciplines without compromising time-to-market or common sense
Sr. Project Management Consultant February 2010-January 2013
Pacific Life, Aliso Viejo, CA
Initially recruited to manage a Business Process Re-engineering effort to identify and document existing and recommended business process changes, including staff development recommendations. Subsequently requested to manage other highly visible and challenging initiatives.
ERP/People Soft Financials Implementation February, 2012-January, 2013
Requested to take over highly complex and challenging project for the Life Division (LID). Pacific Life was in the process of replacing its legacy accounting system with an ERP system from People Soft (PS), implementing new Treasury, Accounts Payable and General Ledger modules. This enterprise-wide effort would impact all divisions requiring significant changes to existing business processes within each division, as well as at the Corporate level.
• Managed 20+ Life Division (LID) project team. Provided status to Divisional CFO, CIO and SVP of Operations
• Ensured analysis, documentation, and approval of “as-is” and “to-be” business process changes. LID’s effort was used as an example for other divisions to prepare them for the ERP implementation. This effort was also critical in determining later Corporate business process changes and how they would impact divisions
• Successfully developed 12 files (CSTs-Common Source Template) consisting of transaction and accounting data from LID’s five Legacy source systems required by the new PS application.
• Ensured collaboration between Life Division team and IBM-led corporate team. “Just-in-time” project management methodology on the corporate side required the Life Division team to be flexible but diligent about maintaining a strict change management process.
• Required close management and quick issue escalation and resolution for multiple parallel efforts due to short timeframes and constantly changing scope.
• The ERP effort (renamed ‘TIDES”) was successfully implemented on January 1, 2013. The LID team was acknowledged as a key success factor in this implementation due to its detailed analysis of business process changes, comprehensive User Acceptance testing and defect resolution, as well as its ability to identify issues and solutions that would impact all divisions.
Long-Term Care (PremierCare) Product launch) August, 2011-February, 2012
Recruited to support program-level management for launch of new Long-Term Care Product, the first of its kind and the first collaborative effort between two Pacific Life Divisions.
• Provided consolidated program management status reporting to senior management team. Ensured identification of issues and timely escalation and resolution
• Stepped in to manage effort to send data from Life Division to Retirement Services Division to support sales and commission reporting. Identified obstacles and developed action plan and timeline for meeting deliverables.
DCM Commission Accounting System June, 2010-June, 2011
Took over project management of a portfolio of complex subprojects to support implementation of a customized vendor-based Commission Accounting System to replace existing legacy mainframe technology. This was a five-year, multi-million dollar project which successfully implemented in June, 2011.
• Responsible for leading a diverse team of 30+ business users, business analysts, QA testers, IT developers, and vendor representatives to confirm requirements, establish and report on project schedules, negotiate resources, triage defects, perform risk assessment and identify risk mitigation strategies.
• Manage through all phases of systems implementation lifecycle, including business and systems requirements definition, application design development, test approach development, test execution, change management, and issues identification, escalation, and resolution.
• Collaborate with program-level peers to communicate issues and identify impacts of ongoing change requests and decisions. Required the ability to identify potential road blocks for deliverables and recommend solutions while anticipating impact of decisions on parallel efforts within the organization.
WAMU INVESTMENTS, INC., Irvine, CA 2005-2009
First Vice-President, Sr. Manager, Program Management Office
Recruited by Chief Operating Officer to drive execution of strategic and tactical initiatives for broker/dealer division of Washington Mutual. Supported changing business needs and shifting corporate priorities. Directed vendor analysis and negotiations. Planned and reconciled budgets over $8 million.
• Led the WaMu Investments transition team to integrate Washington Mutual’s broker/dealer enterprise into JPMorgan Chase following acquisition. Facilitated and led teams across 14 work streams and functional areas. Devised creative problem-solving approaches to resolve complex and/or politically-sensitive issues to keep project on track and able to meet all target dates.
• Directed successful implementation of Oracle Customer Relationship Management (CRM) application for 80-member call center and 400+ member sales team. Effort provided an improved customer experience, supported customer retention, and identified additional revenue opportunities.
• Re-structured at-risk, eighteen-month project to automate annuity processing (constituting over 50% of company’s revenues). Analyzed all inputs and outputs to determine business, finance, and systems impacts. Project successfully automated 98% of firm’s annuity business, streamlined commission processing, and became the model for other peer firms.
• Managed conversion of over 540,000 accounts with $1.2 billion in assets to new Money Market share class. Successful project resulted in increased annual revenue of $4 million and $750,000 in annual cost savings.
• Led critical, fourteen month risk management project to address audit findings by identifying and implementing a vendor solution to automate trade surveillance and customer account reviews
• Directed key initiative to establish a new 120-member operations site in Texas on an accelerated timeline of 90 days. Project completed early and was $1 million under budget.
• Created and staffed new Sales Application Management team to drive adoption of technology tools for sales team. Effort increased usage of sales applications by 30%.
CHARLES SCHWAB INVESTMENT MANAGEMENT, San Francisco, CA 2003-2005
Director of Investment Operations
Recruited by CFO of the Schwab Funds to implement process efficiencies and project disciplines to support mutual fund launches, quarterly board meetings, and to manage a data warehouse implementation for Schwab’s Fund Administration enterprise.
• Took over effort from outside consultants to consolidate multiple external data feeds from fund accounting and custody systems into a vendor-based data warehouse system to improve reporting efficiencies and to manage risk. Established scope, clarified requirements, acquired funding, managed vendors, and rebuilt relationship with senior management, business, and technology staff.
• Supported initiative to consolidate multiple external vendors providing Fund Accounting, Administration and Custody services for Charles Schwab’s mutual funds to simplify the operating model, create tighter controls, and reduce expenses. The project spanned ten business groups, eight external service providers, and converted over $140 Billion in assets.
CHARLES SCHWAB & CO., Inc., San Francisco, CA 1999-2001
Vice President, Schwab Technology, Core Brokerage Solutions
Recruited by SVP of Schwab Technology to manage diverse technology teams and projects in support of Schwab’s brokerage operations business enterprise. Took over leadership of multi-million dollar, five-year project to replace components of Schwab’s mainframe systems in support of STP (Straight Through Processing/Real-Time).
• Interviewed, recruited, and hired 35-member technical project team within first 90 days of taking new position.
• Oversaw detailed analysis to determine feasibility of integrating vendor components into Schwab’s mainframe architecture. Identified costs, duration, risks, and benefits. Pilot project was approved with $5 Million budget.
• Initiated information sessions for technical staff describing business processes for trade placement, execution, and settlement to facilitate software development and improve ability to meet user expectations for deliverables.
• Led 14-member team responsible for 24×7 production support and triage of mainframe systems problems. Successfully met Service Level Agreement of 99% up-time for customer trading systems.
WM FINANCIAL SERVICES, Northridge, CA 1990-1998
Integration Project Manager (1998)
Selected by Washington Mutual SVP to lead integration of Great Western Savings & Loan’s Broker/Dealer affiliate into Washington Mutual following bank acquisition. Eight-month project required collaboration with cross-functional teams from both acquired and acquiring organizations to set milestones and deliverables, analyze processes and procedures, evaluate team competencies, identify risks, and develop contingency plans..
• Assumed oversight responsibility of entire Great Western back office organization (over 150 employees) for six months following departure of senior management while managing integration and conversion initiatives.
• Converted customer and transaction data from both an outside vendor and in-house proprietary system to a new vendor system while preparing to integrate with Washington Mutual’s broker/dealer enterprise.
• Successfully converted customer information, shut down proprietary system, integrated operations processes, terminated/transferred employees, and vacated facilities by target date.
Great Western Financial Securities, Northridge, CA
Senior Vice President, Systems and Operations (1996 -1998)
Promoted to new senior management position reporting into enterprise CEO. Provided management and thought leadership for systems and operations staff for Great Western Financial Securities, the broker/dealer affiliate of Great Western Savings and Loan Bank.
• Responsible for oversight of 100 employees, and technology support for all back office employees and 300 sales representatives covering 400 branches.
• Rebuilt operations’ credibility and gained efficiencies by evaluating all processes (having the right people in the right place doing the right thing, correctly), strengthening management team, reassigning roles and responsibilities, cross-training staff, implementing service level standards, and negotiating service level agreements between systems and operations teams. Reduced errors by 55%, reduced staff over 20%, and received 100% clean audits.
Great Western Financial Securities, Northridge, CA
Vice President, Information Technology Group (1990 – 1996)
Recruited by CFO of broker/dealer enterprise to manage Information Technology Group. Responsible for all systems planning, hardware and software upgrades, application development, budgeting, and vendor management for the broker/dealer and proprietary mutual fund company.
• Led successful effort to define, design, and execute an automated new account opening and trade placement workstation for over 400 financial consultants.
• Developed and cross-trained internal software development team which allowed firm to disengage from outside consulting firm. Effort produced over $500,000 in annual savings.
• Designed, developed and implemented customized data feed from in-house system to mutual fund transfer agency. Effort produced annual savings of over $1 million.
EARLY EXPERIENCE HIGHLIGHTS
• As Senior Business Analyst for Fidelity Investments in Boston, MA, provided technical desktop support for Fund Portfolio Managers
• As Co-Founder of Avanti Systems, Inc., Boston, MA, provided systems consulting services to small businesses, ranging from installation and configuration of desktop systems to classroom training on software applications
• As Director of Artist and Repertoire Administration for Capitol Records, Hollywood, CA, prepared and managed artist recording budgets of over $12 million, supervised administrative staff, and managed and coordinated production for all single and album releases.
• MBA, Simmons College School of Management, Boston, MA
• BA, English/Spanish, St. Catherine University, St. Paul, MN
• Project Management Professional (PMP) certification
• Previously held NASD (Security Industry) Licenses: 7, 24, 27, 63